Monday, February 22, 2010

Blessings ....Our All Powerful God

My Blog description focuses on the blessings of knowing God.  To date I have not really written about that.  Today will be my first in what will hopefully be a little series.
I am blessed and take great comfort in knowing that God is all powerful while I, on the other hand am pretty much helpless....at least in the critical issues of life.
For example,  our family is fragile and very vulnerable.  Three of our children, (now adults) were born with Wilson's disease.  Wilson's is a defect of the liver in which copper is not removed from the body.  It accumulates throughout the body including the brain, eyes, joints and organs.  It can present with neurological symptoms such as slurred speech, slack jaw, and small motor coordination.  These were the symptoms our oldest son presented with when he was 11 years old.
Undiagnosed, the disease is devastating and lethal.  It commonly causes liver failure that results in the need for liver transplant.  That is what happened to our daughter this past May.
But God was with us.  In fact he had been preparing me for this trial.  For some months prior to her liver failure I had the feeling that something was going to happen.  I had no idea what it would be or who was going to be affected.  I didn't necessarily think it would involve our family specifically.  At the same time I had a feeling that whatever it was, it was going to be okay.
On May 5th 2009, the day of her initial hospitalization, I had being feeling that God was very near, comforting me, guiding me...even though I had no idea a storm was on the horizon.
During the trial of her illness we felt God's presence and comfort.  Prayers were answered, Needs were met.
On Thursday May 7th,she was ranked number one on the transplant waiting list, so critical was her need.  On Saturday, May 9th a liver became available.
We had prayed for the right liver for Melissa, in God's time.  Our prayer was answered.
A liver for transplant must pass numerous tests.  It can be in flight to the recipients hospital and still be undergoing tests and awaiting results. The liver for Melissa passed all the tests. The rest is history.  Twenty days after her surgery Melissa was released from the hospital, still a long way from full recovery but strong enough to go home to her family.  Now nine months later, she is vibrant and full of energy.
My point is that God is merciful.  He is faithful.  He is all powerful. 
I am not a bastion of emotional strength and yet I was strong throughout Melissa's ordeal.  That wasn't me.  That was God through his Holy Spirit strengthening me, comforting me, reminding me of verses of comfort and promise from His Word and hymns of praise and promise and giving me a song to sing.
God's power was fully evident in us and during our time of need.  When we were our weakest, God was strong!   I am blessed by knowing that even though our family is fragile and vulnerable, in Christ we are strong!  

1 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee; for my strength is made perfect in weakness.  Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

No comments:

Post a Comment