Wednesday, February 10, 2010

White As Snow

As I look out my windows at the white, clean snow and enjoy its beauty I am reminded of Isaiah 1:18. "Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord; though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow..."

The Bible talks about sin.  It tells us "All have sinned..." Romans 3:23  and .... "The wages of sin is death." Romans 6:23.  "Death"  meaning eternal separation from God.  Isn't that something to take seriously?

The Bible also tells us that "Even while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us..."Romans 5:8,  It says  "...as many as receive him, to them gave he the power to become the sons (and daughters) of God...." John 1:12  God provided the solution to our sin problem.

My concern  is for people who call themselves Christians but live as though there is no God,  no final authority about life and how to live it, no right and wrong, no standard for living.

First let me say that I am grateful that when I was young someone told me about my sin and Christ's sacrifice for me. I accepted Christ as my personal savior and forgiveness for my sins.  I am so grateful that my sins are made white as the snow by my faith in Christ and daily repentance.  I know there is nothing I can do to earn eternal life.  If I had to work my way to Heaven my gut would be tied in a knot all the time because,
1. I cannot live a sinless life and
2. I cannot do enough good to even remotely make up for or cover my sin.
This doctrine of faith in Christ and salvation through him is the defining factor of my life. 

Based on this, I am burdened for those who take for granted that because they go to church and believe in God that they are saved from the eternal punishment that the Bible tells us of.  Despite this many live their lives the way they wish, profaning God's name and ignoring the precepts of His Word.  Don't they know better?

I wonder how can one say they are a Christian and take God's name in vain when the Bible says "Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain."?
How can one say they are a Christian but ignore His Word and go along with our culture that tells us it's okay to be sexually active outside of marriage? Scripture tells us that God ordained marriage Genesis 2:24, and to "Flee fornication." 1Corinthians 6:18,19.
How can one say they are Christian and be profane in their speech?  Ephesians 4:29 "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth..."

Hmm... God's Word also tells me to have "bowels of mercies." Colossians 3:12.

I am admonished. The truth is that many who live with disregard for God's Word probably do not know His Word... even church goers.

Whose fault is that?  Isn't it the fault of pastors who don't preach the full counsel of the scriptures? Isn't it the fault of Christian parents who don't implement God's assignment for the family by fulfilling their obligation to bring their children up in the "nurture and admonition of the Lord" Ephesians 6:4?  Isn't it the fault of those of us who know what the Bible says and are reluctant to stand up and speak out?  Yes, yes and yes.

So... the people who frustrate me, the ones who claim to be Christian but who live as though they aren't... probably AREN'T.

God's Word reminds me...  I have a purpose.
I have a command to obey.

'Go ye therefore and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost; Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world."  Matthew 28:19
Father, please give me the strength and the will to obey you.  Please give me the words to write and to say so that others' can see and receive Christ and so their sins can be as "white as snow".

1 comment:

  1. Very true. We all need the reminder that although Grace covers our sins, it doesn't give us free reign to do what we please, but we have been instructed to become more like christ.

    ReplyDelete